Saturday, August 4, 2012

My Life in Fort Wayne - Fridays

It's kind of hard to believe, but I've already lived in Fort Wayne for 6 whole months. As with living anywhere else, I've developed a certain rhythm of life, and because most of you have no idea what I actually do in Fort Wayne, I thought it would be a good idea to do some short posts of what I actually do every day. So every day this week, I'm going to be posting a short blurb of what that day normally looks like.

Friday - 9/80 Day

Because yesterday's post was a day late, I'm afraid the last few of these posts may be a day late as well.

8:00am - 5:00am - Work (every other Friday)

There really isn't much to talk about for Fridays, other than that I get every other Friday off. I work a 9/80 schedule, which means I work 9 hours a day every day and get every other Friday off. [Actually, on the Friday that I do work, I only need to work for 8 hours.] As you can probably already see, my work days are ridiculously long. May days basically end at 6 every day, which is later than most people stay. I've gotten used to it though, and having every other Friday off is absolutely fantastic. The difference between a four day work week and a five day work week is huge. Because I don't really have anything else to talk about in this post, here's a list of reasons why 9/80 rocks.

Why the 9/80 schedule rocks:
  • That "holy crap it's only Wednesday and I have two more days of work after this" feeling no longer exists.
  • Holidays extend the weekend to four day weekends.
  • I can switch to take two Fridays off in a row for vacations. Last month, I took three days off on July 4th weekend and had a 10 day vacation!
  • I can run errands to places that are only open on weekdays (or that I just wouldn't want to spend time going to on weekends).
10:00am - 5:00pm - Play Age of Emperors, run some errands, take a nap

Free Fridays are probably my favorite day of the week. I have literally nothing I need to do. I usually play a good amount of Age of Empires during the day, because my internet gets kind of weird at night, so I don't get many opportunities to play on the other days. If there are any of you out there that still plays Age of Empires, tell me, and we can play together!! I play on Voobly, where I'm considered a noob. But it's okay. I'm getting better (I think). 

Fridays are great for running errands, which is also what I did yesterday. I went to go to an optometrist for the first time this year to get my vision checked and to order some new contact lenses. When I was at the desk going to pay, I was surprised at how much money needed to come out of my pocket. I asked to the lady and asked her why it was so much. After she listed out all the different silly fees that I needed to pay, I told her, "Sorry, I just moved out of home, and this is my first time doing this by myself. Being an adult is so expensive." After I said this, all the people around me started laughing and saying stuff like, "You have no idea, kid." Fun experience. After seeing the eye doctor, I went to Comcast to get my modem replaced. The door was out the line. I heard a lady remark "It's August 3rd. The beginning of the month. All the people on Social Security are here." I'm not positive why exactly they would be at Comcast (to pay the bills, maybe?), but yeah. There were a lot of poorer people there. 

8:00pm - 1:00am - Watch movies/TV shows

I was bored last night and started watching the Tudors because I heard that it was a good show. It's a Showtime show, so there's a lot of nudity and stuff, so it's not really good for my soul. But it's such a great show! The story has me totally intrigued. Why must all the best TV shows be HBO/Showtime/Starz shows with a lot of nudity?! Boo. 

Sorry this post sucked. Me doing nothing isn't really post-worthy, even if it is enjoyable to me.Hopefully tomorrow's post will be more interesting to you. 

My Life in Fort Wayne - Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays

1 comment:

  1. lol ask my brother if he plays age of empires caleb! i used to play back in the day (he taught me) and he might still play!
    this is a chick show, but i suggest Downton Abbey. no nudity but deals with aristocrates, social class, european scene, etc. the only drama show that I like that's actually got me hooked. everything else i watch is comedy

    ReplyDelete