Saturday, August 18, 2012

My Pro-Life Defense on Reddit - My Stance

As you may have seen on my Facebook, I posted in on reddit in response to the question/prompt: 

Okay conservatives, post your rational arguments that we constantly bury here. I won't downvote any of them. Hopefully others will follow suit.

[Here's the link] of my response and the literally hundreds of follow-up comments. In this post, I'm going to outline some of the basics of my stance on abortion, and will continue to clarify my position further in future posts.

Introduction
As I began responding to the hundreds of responses I got, my stance on abortion became increasingly clear to me. Believe it or not, I was largely unconvinced that abortion was wrong until only a few months ago. To me, the Biblical support that the soul begins at conception is shaky and unconvincing. Not only that, I objected to the idea that abortion is murder and that those who have abortion are murderers, because to me, a genuine belief in this morally justified things like the bombing of abortion clinics or the murder of doctors who perform abortions. Also, if abortion truly was murder, why don't the anti-abortion conservative evangelicals care more about the issue? I just didn't believe that the pro-life rhetoric that abortion is murder was genuinely reflected in their belief systems or in their actions. All this paired with the lack of any sort of emotional attachment to "clumps of cells", I could not bring myself to accept the pro-life side.

So as I began writing back to my millions of fans around the world, my stance became solidified. To me, these stances are coherent and internally consistent, and it seemed like many of the pro-choice people were satisfied with many of my answers. That said, some of my beliefs are non-traditional, especially for an evangelical Christian. I haven't really run these arguments by many Christians, so tell me what you think.

Abortion is a violation of human rights.
The following is the response that I submitted, to which I got over a 1,500 upvotes and hundreds of responses. This line of thought came to me as I was reading about William Wilberforce in the book Amazing Grace (thanks, Knox!). I thought to myself, "How could they not see Africans as people too? Shouldn't it be so obvious?" I've actually never heard someone give the following argument, and from some of the responses I got (which I will post later), it seems like it's the first time that others may have heard it as well.
"I think abortion is a violation of human rights. I'm actually a little surprised that most progressives are so adamantly pro-abortion, as I think it's actually the next human rights hurdle that needs to be overcome. In Roman times, infantacide was common, because children were perceived to be property of their parents, without rights for themselves. Now, we recognize the personhood of children, and killing children is universally accepted as morally wrong. Two hundred years ago, slaves were considered as the property of their owners, and had no human rights. Killing a slave was merely just destroying something that you owned. Now, it's nearly universally accepted that those slaves were persons, and deserved their own human rights.
Which brings us to today. I understand the argument that a woman should be able to do what she wants with her body and I agree with it, so long as it does not infringe on the basic human right of life of someone else. I know that all (if not most) pro-choice people out there do not consider a fetus as a human life, deserving of human rights (if so, I don't think you would be pro-choice!). However, 200 years ago, slave owners viewed slaves as sub-human, as did parents to children even longer before that. Slave owners would have objected that they should have the right to do what they wanted to their property. 
Yes, I understand that infantacide, slavery, and abortion are all different issues, with different societal implications and cultural nuances. However, the point is that we see in history that society has progressed to recognize various "peoples/groups" to be persons deserving of human rights, and I think/hope that the same will be true for unborn babies. These changes come not only with legislation, but with a general shift in thinking. It goes much deeper than just politics to general worldview. 
Progressives have led us in the fight for human rights in so many different areas, and it is a little surprising to me (and a little sad) that for the most part, they aren't also fighting for human rights in the realm of abortion. 
Edit: sorry for using "pro-abortion". It is a poor choice of words, and should be "pro-choice" instead."

A baby's personhood begins at conception
This is the underlying assumption I hold. I will elaborate more on this in the next post, but I just wanted to make this clear.

The moral heinousness of aborting a baby and murdering an adult are NOT the same.
I do not believe that aborting an unborn baby is of the same moral weight as murdering an adult or even of the same weight as murdering a born baby. So while it could technically fit the dictionary definition of murder, I think that the word "murder" is too loaded and has moral implications that I do not think necessarily apply to abortion. You may object that if it is essentially the same action of ending the life of a person, it should carry the same moral weight. Here's an argument against this that I posted -

I think that two identical actions with two different subjects/victims can hold different moral weight. For example - adult rape is morally wrong, but in my mind, raping a 2-year old (and it does happen), is indescribably worse. Another example would be robbing the house of a rich person and stealing $1000 of cash seems "less wrong" than knowingly stealing $1000 from a poor family. From many perspectives, the crime is the same, and both are morally wrong (taking this at face value), but one seems to carry more moral weight than the other. 
This of course does not add to the idea that abortion is less morally weighty than murder of a toddler, but it feels that way, and that's the best I can give you at the moment. I need to give it a little more thought, but I hope this kind of gives you some of my premises and framework of thought.

As I mentioned above, I have a real problem with the implications of considering abortion as morally equal to the murder of an adult. Would it be morally justifiable to murder an abortion doctor, who may have "technically" murdered hundreds of people? Would it be morally justifiable to treat those who have abortions as true murderers? In my opinion, no. However, most pro-choice people don't consider it any sort of moral transgression if a baby is aborted before the third trimester, and I've found this observation of different moral "weights" is a reasonable, appealing one. The abortion has been framed in such a polarizing way, where abortion is either murder, and mass genocide is happening, or there hasn't been any moral transgression at all. I find this to be unnecessarily polarizing, and I believe there is a middle ground.

Should abortion be criminalized in the US? 
As in all things, I believe that Christians should not put hope in any legislation to be the solution, and I really don't believe that an all-out ban on abortion is the solution, at least right now. I don't actually think that the legislation is the root problem at all. If we ask ourselves, "Why are people having abortions? What is the root cause?", I don't think it's possible to just point at Roe v Wade and say, "If that law wasn't passed, no one would be having abortions right now." There are various root causes, ranging from poverty to inadequate sex education to a disregard for the unborn. All of these need to be addressed.

That said, do I believe that abortion should be criminalized? First of all, I don't think it ever will. I don't believe that Roe v. Wade will ever be overturned, so I think it is somewhat futile framing the debate in such all-or-nothing terms. That said, given a choice, I don't think that the US is ready for a ban of abortion, especially in how people in the country view abortion. It was brought up multiple times that abortion rates go down in countries that legalize it fully, and that abortions remain common in countries that criminalize it. Until abortion is widely seen as more of a last resort, I don't think banning abortion will necessarily have the desired effects that so many pro-life people hope for. In addition, I feel like there are just too many special cases that may make abortion morally justifiable, which makes legislation even more difficult to write and pass.

However, passing legislation to curb abortions is still beneficial, as it does help shape the culture. A great example of this is the ban of third-trimester abortions, where tons of the liberals that responded agreed that this was a necessary restriction on abortion. So just in summary, I believe that legislation is one answer, but not the answer, and the pro-life movement needs to bring answers to some of the other root problems that cause abortion.

The pro-life should be truly pro-life, not just anti-abortion.
You will not believe how many people asked about my stance on universal healthcare,
war, and capital punishment. While my stances on those issues does not have a real bearing on the validity of my arguments, people just wanted to make sure that I was holding an internally consistent worldview.

I think it's very important for pro-life people to be pro-life, not just pro-unborn-life. One of the major complaints that I read over and over is how the same conservatives who claimed a regard for the unborn showed no regard for the lives of the poor or the lives of soldiers. While I think all of these issues are more nuanced than simply being pro-everything, we really need to think about whether or not we display a sufficient care for the poor, the elderly, and people in other areas of the world where we are invading.

Below is one of my responses to a question about the pro-life movement.
I totally agree with you that we need to address why unplanned pregnancies happen. The pro-life movement has yet to show an appropriate concern to these issues along with an appropriate concern for those who are stuck making the difficult decision of whether or not to keep their baby. 
That said, I don't think it's an either-or thing w.r.t more restrictive legislation. I believe that it's a both-and thing. But yeah. The pro-life movement (along with all of us citizens of the world) needs to pay more attention to the root cause.

So this concludes my first post. What are your thoughts? Do you have objections? I hope some of you do. Because I've been thinking through the holes and perceived holes in my arguments and have tried to formulate counterarguments for them.

Coming up next - When does personhood begin?
Then after that - Answering the tough questions of rape, mother's safety, and other objections.

5 comments:

  1. Okay, here we go. I'm glad that you see abortion as a violation of human rights, because I believe with all my heart that these unborn babies are human beings who are being deprived of life.

    First, to address the issue of biblical support for life at conception, I do think there is biblical basis. A couple examples:
    - Ps. 139:13 - "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb." God has already put all our genetic material together from conception and He knit us together in His image from the womb. This is His personal, precious work, forming us in His image. Virtually all abortions take place after 8 weeks when the babies already start sucking their thumbs, respond to sound and pricking, have blood cells, fingerprints, and functioning brains and hearts. Definitely not just a clump of cells.
    - John the Baptist leaping for joy in his mother's womb when Mary delivered the news of Jesus: First of all, it says the "baby" in the womb leapt for joy (the Greek word brefos doesn't make any distinction between a baby inside or outside of the womb). Secondly, when the Holy Spirit filled Elizabeth, He prompted her to say that the baby inside of her leapt for joy. Look back at the prophecy that came to Zechariah in which he heard that John the Baptist would be filled with the Spirit from his mother's womb; if he did not have a soul yet, how would he be filled with the Spirit and Spirit-led joy?

    Now I have some comments and/or disagreements with your views:
    - I 100% believe that abortion is murder of babies. Yet, I don't think that is justification to murder abortion-performing doctors or bomb abortion clinics. Is a father morally justified in killing someone who raped/killed his daughter? They are not legally justified (that would be vigilante justice), nor are they biblically justified. Rom.12:19 - "Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God. 'Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.'" People who would live by the "eye for an eye" (do it yourself) justice system are wrong.
    - I would agree with you that raping a 2-year-old is infinitely worse than raping an adult, and that stealing from a poor family way worse than from a rich one. Why, though? I think it is because of our convictions that we are supposed to defend those who are weak and uphold the cause of the poor and oppressed (Ps.82:3-4). A 2-year-old toddler is weak and helpless and full of that childhood innocence, and raping them is destroying that preciousness. Stealing from a poor family reminds me of A Christmas Carol, where Tiny Tim dies because the family can't afford treatment for his illness since Scrooge severely underpays Bob Cratchit. Considering all this, I feel that abortion is worse than murdering an adult or toddler because they are even more weak and helpless and deserve the utmost protection.
    - And because I think that this act is so morally reprehensible, I also passionately believe that it must be outlawed. You know I believe that we can't legislate morality or turn people's hearts to Jesus just by changing the law. So that's why it wouldn't make sense to outlaw something like premarital sex. Our sin just brings judgment upon ourselves. However, in the case of abortion, the act kills the life of a human being made in God's image, so it's very different. Babies are being killed every day and I believe it must be stopped. I also understand that criminalizing it may not bring about the desired effect, but I don't think our laws should be based on whether or not people would follow it, but rather based on what is right.

    And that's all for now, sorry for the super long post

    ReplyDelete

  2. Cory,

    Thanks for the response. I'll probably expand on the Biblical support thing in my next post, but that passage in Psalms is often given, but Psalms is usually quite weak to use as any sort of proof texts (we also read about the corners of the earth and the center being the center of the universe in Psalms). If we use the same logic to read Ephesians 1 - "For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight", we may come to the conclusion that our personhood is defined before the foundations of the earth, which is obviously not the case. The John the Baptist passage is interesting. However, it still doesn't support "life at conception", but merely "life before birth".

    As I mentioned in my post, I do believe that abortion is murder by definition.

    - "Is a father morally justified in killing someone who raped/killed his daughter?" Probably not. But is a person justified for killing a serial killer who has killed 200+ people and won't stop, and the government won't stop him? It's no longer that black and white. I think you are oversimplifying the interpretation of those passages, and that they don't actually apply to this situation. The situation you are talking about is vengeance, which isn't really the motivation for someone bombing an abortion clinic. It would be to protect babies, not out of vengeance.

    - "I feel that abortion is worse than murdering an adult or toddler because they are even more weak and helpless and deserve the utmost protection."

    This is one of those really grey areas where I don't think we will be able to come to a conclusion either way. I have two thoughts though.

    1) Crimes against the "strong" or "privileged" can be more morally heinous than crimes against the weak (but not always, obviously). This argument is mainly based on the impact to society it would have. Which is more morally heinous - killing a garbage man, or killing a cancer researcher? Or what about a janitor vs someone like MLK/Mandela? It can easily be argued that in these cases, the crimes against the "stronger" is more morally heinous. This obviously doesn't say anything about abortion, but it isn't to be assumed that crimes against the weak are always more morally heinous than those against the strong.

    ReplyDelete

  3. 2) " I feel that abortion is worse than murdering an adult or toddler because they are even more weak and helpless and deserve the utmost protection." If you say this (and I think many people may say this), I think you should really act like it, or think like it. Because I really doubt that many people hold this truth to their heart and not to their head. I think the term may be "cognitive dissonance", but basically, it's hard for me to accept, because saying killing unborn babies, especially those before in the first few months, just doesn't register as "right" to me. Is an abortion doctor really as morally heinous as Timothy McVeigh? I find that hard to believe. What about the tons of unintentional abortions, where the egg become fertilized but doesn't stick and is effectively "aborted"? I find it hard to believe that is as tragic as a live human being falling sick and dying. And if pro-life people really believed that it was worse than murder of human beings, why aren't people more about it? If abortion is really the collective Hitler of our generation, why aren't people taking up arms to defend them? Do people get as emotionally riled up about abortion as they do about mass murders like the ones recently or about terrorist acts? I really don't see it. I've seen countless people cry over shootings and other tragedies, even if they weren't involved and are distant from the situation. Never in my life have I seen anyone shed a single tear about abortion. I myself nearly cried when I read about the Sikh's that got killed. I tear up all the time thinking about 9/11. I haven't ever come even near tears about abortion. If we genuinely believe abortion to be mass murder and to be as morally heinous as the murder of adults and born babies, why don't we feel more strongly about it emotionally? In my opinion, it's because few people honestly treat abortion as morally heinous. And if it is, my challenge to pro-life people would be to walk the walk and not just talk the talk. If you genuinely believed the mass murder was happening in the hospital down the street, shouldn't you be protesting or volunteering or offering your money or something? If not, then aren't you partially responsible for being a bystander to what you consider to be mass murder? This section was kind of long, but I hope my argument is at least clear.

    - Our ideas on legislation are merely conclusions drawn from our premises, which disagree. Therefore, further discussion on it is pointless. All I would have to say is that I really don't think that legislation is the final solution for anything. Even if abortion is truly murder in the sense you mean it, we should be working at the root causes of the problem. There doesn't seem to be much progress with legislation, and there are other areas that are being neglected. The goal, in the end, is to reduce abortions.

    One more thing. "I don't think our laws should be based on whether or not people would follow it, but rather based on what is right." I see where you are coming from, but do you think pre-marital sex and divorce should also be outlawed? They aren't at all in the same category as abortion, but taking your statement at face value, it's hard not to think that it would lead to some sort of theocracy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Caleb, lots of good thoughts here for me to think about.

    Some responses:

    - Yeah, Psalms does use a lot of poetic language, such as talking about the pillars of the earth, but that doesn't mean that everything in Psalms is just a bunch of pretty words; it's still the inspired Word of God filled with a lot of substance, and I think we can tell which parts are poetic and which parts are literal. In this verse, would it be reasonable to say that God literally, personally knit us together in our mothers' wombs in His own image? As He is our Creator, I would give a firm "yes".

    - With the vengeance thing, yeah I can see how that's different from abortion (I guess I thought of it as the protesters avenging the babies who were killed). It definitely does become murky, but I still believe the biblical response would be to wait on the Lord to bring justice for all the killed babies.

    - Crimes against the strong/weak: you're utilizing different systems of thought like utilitarianism here (i.e. the cancer researcher will potentially save millions of lives, vs. the "insignificant" garbage man who just collects trash every week), which many people would argue for and I can see why. I'm not sure if God would feel the same way though. In His eyes, we are all precious and made in His image, and it's not about what we've done or what we accomplish. And since He calls for us to defend the poor, weak, and oppressed, it's definitely arguable that crimes against them are worse. But in our society, people elevate the powerful and famous on pedestals, so if something bad happens to them, it seems worse than if some random guy got killed in the street. Different schools of moral thought.

    - For sure, people don't get as riled up about aborted babies as they do about mass shootings and terrorist attacks. Given the fact that we both believe abortion is murder by definition, shouldn't we though? 2 factors may contribute to this:
    1) Perhaps we've been desensitized by society. While there's no question that the people who are victims of terrorist attacks are humans who have been robbed of life, there are so many people out there who firmly assert that babies aren't humans until they pop out. People have believed the "science" that says so, and maybe the pro-choice people have subconsciously numbed us a little bit to feel that these unborn babies are a little bit less than human.
    2) Perhaps we don't fully understand abortions and how they work. It's not a humane injection like they did to Timothy McVeigh; it's brutal slaughter: http://www.priestsforlife.org/action/abortion-procedure-revealed.htm.

    I've seen a video on Youtube complete with pictures of what the procedures are like, and I definitely cried.

    I also receive emails from "Students for Life" so yeah there are many groups out there fighting for the rights of these unborn babies. I admit I don't do enough, but then again, I also don't do enough to help the poor or build up the body, etc (shame on me). And I feel that maybe I've also been desensitized some...but that, in my opinion, doesn't make this act any less heinous, just because of my lack of sensitivity.

    - Again, I agree with you that we need to address the root of the problem rather than just trying to fix it through laws. I believe you said something in your original post about changing attitudes + enacting legislation?

    - Nope, I don't think that divorce and premarital sex should be outlawed (I mentioned that in my original comment in the last paragraph). Those who do those things bring judgment on themselves and it's between them and God. However, with abortions, it involves killing another person (the unborn baby), and so that's why I strongly feel that it needs to be outlawed. That's what I meant by my statement about making the law based on what's right and not whether people would follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any discussion of Abortion and Biblical evidence (it would seem with the verses in play here) would be taking 21st century categories and reading them into passages that were not written to address those categories. The metaphysical question of traducianism vs. creationism is not the topic in view of any verse scripturally.

    That said, I understand what you are saying with Psalms, but language can't be dismissed off the cuff, on the one hand and it can't be thrown forward as a proof text.

    If you are going to dismiss Psalm 139 as being figurative and unsupportive of traducianism you'd have to dismiss vs. 17-18 as support for God's omniscience, on the same grounds. In summary, I'd disagree with the general point that the Psalms don't support theological statements. One has to understand the genera, parallelisms, figurative language present there, but dismissing the psalms outright in making theological statements is a touch far.

    Further, if we are going to dismiss the language of the psalms as being too figurative, there must be some alternate explanation to the meaning in a more esoteric sense. What would be the esoteric meaning of Psalm 193:13, or Psalm 51:5? I probably sound like some classic dispensationalist (which I'm not), but I'm just trying to gain clarity about what meaning can exist in the psalms if say that we cannot use them to make theological statements.

    Outside of the Psalms, we would have to interact with Jeremiah 1:5, which would open up a crazy can of worms if we went into the theoretcials about Jeremiah dying in infancy, or being stillborn.

    Another verse to think about is why God dealt favorably with Shiphrah and Puah for not following Pharoah's orders to commit infanticide (Ex. 1:15-21). One could say that this was a necessary step in preserving the nation of Israel, but it seems to also support God's basic command in the garden to be fruitful and multiply on the Earth. None of the commands in the garden have been undone as a result of the fall.

    Anyway, as you interact with Biblical texts, these seem to be some additional ones to grappel with.

    Additionally, on the historical considerations, Rodney Stark's "The rise of Christianity" does touch on 1st century infanticide, abortion, and birth control. It also deals with the Jewish and Christian writers who are quoted as being against the practices of abortion and infanticide. It seems that by being against these, Christians stood apart from their culture... Anyway, I can loan you the book or photocopy the pages if you're interested...

    Food for thought...

    ReplyDelete