Monday, July 30, 2012

My Life in Fort Wayne - Mondays

It's kind of hard to believe, but I've already lived in Fort Wayne for 6 whole months. As with living anywhere else, I've developed a certain rhythm of life, and because most of you have no idea what I actually do in Fort Wayne, I thought it would be a good idea to do some short posts of what I actually do every day.

So hopefully, every day this week, I'm going to be posting a short blurb of what that day normally looks like.

Monday - Summer League Day


7am - Monday Mornings - Worst mornings ever.
Monday mornings are difficult. Sometime it's because I sleep too late on Sunday, trying to prolong my weekend. But really, most of the time it's just because it's Monday morning. I've developed this weird, unproductive routine that happens most Monday mornings. I get up, eat some breakfast and do my quiet times. Then I go lay down and take a nap. That's right, folks. I take a half hour nap half an hour after waking up ...at 7:30 in the morning. I usually end up getting to work a little later than usual, but the nap is totally worth it! I actually didn't take a nap this morning, and I've been feeling uncharacteristically tired all day today. Coincidence? I think not!

8:30am - 6:15pm - Work
Not much to say here. Work is work.

6:30pm - 9:00pm - Ultimate Summer League
For those of you who don't know what summer league is, it's basically just like IM sports, where you are on set teams for a set number of weeks (10, for us), and you compete every week against whoever you are scheduled to play. At the end of the season, there is a playoff tournament, and teams are seeded according to their regular season performance. Some of the teams in our league are pre-formed, and some of them are draft teams (meaning, team captains drafted players).

I'm on a draft team, and I'm pretty sure that our team is the best draft team, despite having a mere 3-5 record. Around half of our team is inexperienced and haven't played any level of organized ultimate, so we had a pretty steep learning curve the first few weeks. But we've played pretty damn well for being a draft team. We had the most difficult regular season schedule in the entire league, but we still managed to score double digits in all but one loss (games are to 15). We lost our last playoff game and are out of contention for the championship, but it's okay. We actually beat a 4-1 team in the first round of the playoffs, which was awesome.

So I actually wrote this entire post (except for this part) beforehand, and I just got back from my summer league game. HOLY CRAP. WHAT A GAME. We had already beat this team 15-8 in the regular season, and we didn't like them. And we still didn't like them. They called a lot of travels and ticky-tack fouls on us. They were actually 0-4 in our division. But they jumped off to a 8-3 lead. We cut the lead down to 2, at 10-12, and we finally tied it up at 13-13. Games are win by two, and we started trading points, with us taking advantage and then them coming back and tying it up. With hard cap at 17, they took the last advantage at 16-15, and we tied it up again making it 16-16, universe point. We lost universe point. But oh man. What a game. I actually cramped up a few times in that game, I stretched out, came back to play, and finally cramped out at universe point again. So did our best handler. But damn. What a game. Two and half hours. Universe point. Both of my calves are super tight right now, and I can barely walk, BUT I FEEL SO ALIVE. It's been a while since I've felt this deep competitiveness come out from inside of me, and I love it!! I was planning on taking a picture of us playing to post on here, but I completely forgot. So please accept this crappy picture of us trying to figure out our team cheer.

Red Team!!!

9-10PM Go Home, eat, watch a little TV, read a little, shower, sleep.
There are few things better than some Meijer-brand Flavor Ice after a long ultimate game.

Best $2.99 I've ever spent

My Life in Fort Wayne - Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays

No comments:

Post a Comment