Sunday, January 6, 2013

Urbana 2012 - New Friends

One of my favorite things about this Urbana was the amount of people I got to reconnect with and the amount of new people I got to meet. I've always loved making new friends, but this time it just felt different. Even though I often introduce myself to people either out of a sense of obligation to make people feel comfortable and welcome or selfishness for being well-known, I've still always enjoyed getting to know new people. But the huge amount of joy and encouragement I got from meeting new people this Urbana was very peculiar and unusual.

I realized that my unusual excitement from making new friends is probably because I really haven't had many of those experiences this last year in Fort Wayne. I've definitely made some friends in Fort Wayne, but I haven't had the opportunity to see someone and chat with them every day, like you might a new college friend. I haven't connected culturally with many people here, and I haven't made a friend with (or even met) a single Asian-American Christian in the year that I've been here. All in all, I've just missed making friends.

And to a point, I even feel desperate. I felt the unfamiliar need inside of me to get to know other people. I really wanted other people to be my friends. And this was kind of new to me. Pardon my pride, but I've thought of it kind of like "You should want to be friends with me, not the other way around, because it's a privilege to be friends with me. Don't you know? I'm friends with everyone! Get in line." Okay that was somewhat of an exaggeration, but still. I've never felt the need to make new friendships, as I already have a solid group of guys around me that I can go to with anything. But through Urbana, and now afterwards, there's been a hunger inside me for getting to know new people, and getting to know them beyond surface level.

This is all incredibly hard to explain, and probably awkward for you to read, so I'll give you a concrete example which may or may not make this entire post more awkward (also depending on who you are). I met a bunch of Duke IV students who were Asian and did Bible study with them in the morning. For me, instant connection. New Asian American friends? I haven't had those in a year! And Christians too? Bonus!! After getting a chance to chat with them a few times during Urbana week, I felt like they were my friends. Like. Friends. People that I'm invested emotionally in, not just random people I met during some giant Christian conference. I took every opportunity to chat with them when I saw them, and I even stopped by where they were hanging out right before Urbana finished just so I could say hi/bye.

If you know me, you know that I'm a "horrible friend", one that doesn't ask about how you're doing often, doesn't share much about my life on my own initiative, and really doesn't make that much effort to stay in touch all the time. But as I've been chatting with one of the Duke dudes occasionally and corresponding with some of the other people I met from their chapter, I've initiated every time and tried to maintain long, quality conversations. And through it all, I can't help asking myself, "What is wrong with me?". This is probably the wrong word, but I feel horribly "clingy", trying to hold on to a "friendship" that I know will more likely than not end up as merely a Facebook friendship. I feel like I need to keep a connection with these people, or I'll lose out on something, possibly because these are potentially the only new friends with "potential" that I'll meet in a while.

For all of you who are reading this that I keep regular contact with, don't feel betrayed. You know that I love you. It's not you it's me. Maybe we should start seeing other people. Okay that last one isn't true. But you I know I love you guys and I know I can tell you guys anything, but that's also part of why this whole issue is so confusing to me. Why do I need new friends when I've already got awesome ones? I think that part of me  loves the platonic "thrill of the chase", getting to meet someone new and hear their story, which is something I got to do a lot in college through outreach and NSO but not a whole lot this last year in Fort Wayne.

And if you're from Duke, I don't want your pity! Go on and live your wonderful magnificent lives without me! I'll just write on your Facebook walls after Michigan beats you and wins the NCAA Championship! See you all in heaven!

Okay. This post was supposed to be an exclusively happy one about reconnecting with old friends and meeting new people, as the more introspective and sad ones were going to follow. Oh well. Life isn't always cat GIFS and unicorns. Hopefully the next post isn't as suckily sulky.

Urbana 2012 Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment