Monday, January 28, 2013

Why I want the 49ers to win the Super Bowl

I'm not gonna lie. I don't have much invested in the Super Bowl next week, but I'm going to be rooting for the 49ers. Here's a bunch of subjective, personal reasons with no real objective basis for why I'll be pulling for the Niners.

Colin Kaepernick upset undefeated Boise State in an epic overtime game

This was easily one of the best college football games I've ever watched. Because the game was on the West coast, it went late, to around 1 AM on the East coast. My mom and sister were already in bed, and my dad and I were watching the game. After the Boise kicker missed the game-tying field goal, we couldn't contain our enthusiasm, despite not really being able to scream or make any noise, for fear of waking up the rest of the family. So enjoy this video of jumping around and heavy breathing.



Jim Harbaugh is a Michigan man

Sure, he publicly criticized Michigan's academics, and sure, he turned down the Michigan coaching job after Rich Rod, but he's still a Michigan man.

Ravens players are annoying.

I'm sorry, but I'm just not a fan of Bernard Pollard, Ed Reed, and - yes, I'm going to say it - Ray Lewis. First of all, Bernard Pollard. I'm going to say it. I don't like players that injure other players. The line of intentionality is grey and blurry, but I find it hard to believe that it's all a coincidence. Also, what he said this week about the NFL not existing is hypercritical to the max. He says that the league should "lighten up" on the rules, that injuries are expected, and that the only thing that hasn't happened yet is someone dying on the field, but he says that's what players signed up for. Let me ask you, Pollard. Which is worse for the game: more rules protecting players that changes the game, or someone dying on the field?

Mad respect for Ed Reed and Ray Lewis, but I just can't say I like them. The whole emotional thing is a bit over the top for me, especially as their defense this year really wasn't very good. I know my opinion really doesn't matter, but I seriously think there might be something mentally not right with Ray Lewis especially. Also that whole thing where Ray Lewis might have killed a guy? I don't know. It certainly doesn't make me like him more.

Oh and while I'm busy dishing out the cheapshots at Ravens players, I've got to say it. Joe Flacco is not an elite quarterback.

I've never liked the AFC North.

I've just always despised the AFC North, especially the Steelers and Ravens. I'm not completely sure why, but I think I've just always considered them constantly overrated and overhyped. It probably has to do with their "storied" histories which I wasn't alive to witness, but I've felt like the reputation of the Steelers and the Ravens is constantly much greater than they actually are. I've also grown tired of the "hard-hitting" defense shtick, as their vaunted defenses are often much worse than advertised, and much, much dirtier than reported. In my head, the Steelers and Ravens defensive players (plus Hines Ward), are just dirty players. I'm sorry, but I can't stand Troy Polumalu for so many different reasons. And don't even get me started on James Harrison.

Also, the fact that the media always hypes up their rivalry has always bugged me, because I just feel like it's really not such a big deal. Sure, it's always an important division game, but I honestly don't see the passion and mutual hatred by the fans for this "rivalry" like I do for other great sports rivalries. Maybe I just feel that the Steelers/Ravens rivalry threatens the supremacy of the Eagles/Giants rivalry that I love. Who knows. All I know is that when watching the Steelers and Ravens play each other and other teams, outside of the 2005 Steelers, I'm rarely impressed.

Here's another cheapshot. Big Ben isn't an elite quarterback either. Winning rings doesn't make you elite. Neither does raping girls. Okay. No more cheap shots. Except for this one last video.



Go get 'em, Colin Kaepernick, Jim Harbaugh, and the San Francisco 49ers!

No comments:

Post a Comment