Saturday, January 5, 2013

Urbana 2012 - Denis (and Vladomir)

One of my favorite, favorite experiences at Urbana this year was getting to know Denis, a 30-year old IFES worker in Russia.

The Seminar

I went to a seminar called "Evangelizing in a Post-Modern country" and like Janice, who happened to be at the seminar with me, I expected to hear a methods and tips for evangelizing in post-Christian countries like the US and European countries. Instead, Vladomir, another IFES worker in Eurasia, told us that this track should have been titled "Evangelizing in a Post-Communist country". But in reality, the seminar wasn't really about evangelism. It was an overview and update of evangelicalism and IFES in Eurasia.

And I loved it. Both Vladomir and Denis, who split the hour giving their own presentations, were extremely funny to me, despite having imperfect English and being from across the globe. Our common sense of humor surprised me and made me instantly like them and empathize with all they were saying. I was immediately excited for Denis when he went up to speak and the first thing he did was apologize for his poor English and say that it was his first time in the US. Then he said that he hoped that we could understand him because he burnt his mouth eating a taco (his first!) too fast, as he tried really hard to be at the seminar on time. It's these types of humble and hilariously self-deprecating remarks that made me instantly connect with them.

Even though I didn't (and still don't) have a burden for any of the post-Soviet states, I was really moved by this seminar. The depth of love shown by Denis and Vladomir for God, those they serve, and the nations that they live in moved me deeply, and by the end of the seminar, I was on the verge of tearing up. It's a hard feeling to explain. Two guys I didn't know were talking about countries I didn't really care about, and I was moved to tears? Crazy.

I wanted to talk to Vladomir and Denis after the seminar to thank them for their talk, but there was a long line to talk to them and I had somewhere I needed to be, so I just left.

The IFES Stand

Then the next day (or perhaps the day after), as I took a seminar slot off to wander in the Exhibit Hall and the bookstore, I saw both Vladimir and Denis arrive at the IFES stand. I went to them, thanked them for their seminar, and mentioned how moved I was by their love for God and for those they serve. I chatted with Denis a bit, and got his contact info so I could stay connected with him. Then I told him "I'll be praying for you" and started to turn to talk away. But then I saw him just standing there, with eyes closed and his hands nicely folded at his waist. I guess he didn't understand the tense with which I spoke and thought I told him I would pray for him right there, but I went over anyways, put my arm around his shoulder, prayed for him and Vladomir, and gave him a big hug afterwards. It was awesome. Really awesome.

And that was one of my favorite moments, if not the favorite moment, of this Urbana. It was more exciting and awesome than it sounds. Trust me.

Bonus - A few factoids about ministry in the post-Soviet nations

  • The greatest challenges are the legacy of the past, hopelessness, a struggling economy, corruption, and broken families. 
  • In Belarus, it's illegal to study the Bible outside of a church building. 
  • The Orthodox church is oppresive towards Protestantism, and there is little cooperation between Protestant churches.
  • Only 5% of Orthodox Christians go to temple. [Vladomir said that many Orthodox Christians go to temple regularly...two times a year.]
  • When asked what their greatest prayer request is, the said, "Revival in the Orthodox Church".  This response actually really, really surprised me, and it displayed a refreshing humility - both theological humility and humility to admit that they can't do it themselves. 

Urbana 2012 Posts

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I like this! It does sound awesome and exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should ask to see if they need financial support! though you may not care about the places they serve, it's a good way to bring them hope and affirmation!

    ReplyDelete