Saturday, May 8, 2010

God's Family-Restoring Power

I come from a near-perfect family. At least now, it's near-perfect. We've had a lot of difficult times and difficult arguments in the past, but praise God, I don't see how our family could be more perfect. My parents love each other, my sister and I are close, and my parents try very hard to accept Iris and me even if they don't agree with everything we decide. I love my family.

My parents come from radically broken families. My dad's dad was a multi-millionaire, but he left my dad's family for another woman , leaving my dad's mom and siblings dirt poor. My mom's dad was a military man, always away at sea and rarely at home to be with the family. My mom's mom wasn't a very good mom.

I've never really thought of the two together and how amazing the transformation really is. My mom always tells me and Iris that we should be grateful to our dad, that even though he's imperfect, he's a pretty damn good dad for a guy who didn't really have a good father figure. Even though my mom never said it, I feel that it applies, if somewhat lesser so, to her as well.

God's work of restoration in both my mom and my dad is incredible. God really has the power to mend broken families. As I grow in appreciation to how great my family is, I am also beginning to grow in appreciation of the amount of heart work and transformation and restoration that God has brought to both my mom and a dad. How could people from so broken of homes be such great parents? Jesus died and rose again so that I could have a great family, and I should never forget that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment