Sunday, February 7, 2021

Book Review - The Big Short by Michael Lewis

The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday MachineThe Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine by Michael Lewis
My rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐(4 of 5 stars)

You should read this if: You've watched the movie and enjoyed it!

You should not read this book if: Financial markets really don't interest you and you're looking for a character-driven narrative.

Summary

Michael Lewis's fantastic writing is on display in this book, bringing to life what may otherwise be boring individuals in a dry topic. The subject material involved is complex and hard-to-understand, but Lewis makes the basic concepts accessible, and I was able to enjoy the book even though I never fully grasped the full mechanics of how credit default swaps work. There's something about Michael Lewis's writing that is absolutely hilarious - I remember chuckling throughout the book from imaginative descriptions, which lesser writers would leave as mundane and boring.

This may not be the experience of all, but I actually think that previously having seen the movie contributed to my enjoyment of the book. The detailed descriptions of Eisman were bolstered by my mental image of Steve Carrell's acting. My mental image of Wing Chao's smug, punchable face from the movie persisted in the chapter descripting the enlightening Vegas dinner. Without having seen the movie, readers may find the characters disconnected and the narrative jumpy.

I wish the book spent more time on both the immediate and long-term effects of the housing crisis, for both regular people and the complicit financial institutions. Despite the big buildup, the ending felt a bit rushed and unsatisfying, especially with an event of such magnitude.

Fun book. Watch the movie if you haven't seen it!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment