Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Book Review - What is a Girl Worth? by Rachael Denhollander

What Is a Girl Worth?: My Story of Breaking the Silence and Exposing the Truth about Larry Nassar and USA GymnasticsWhat Is a Girl Worth?: My Story of Breaking the Silence and Exposing the Truth about Larry Nassar and USA Gymnastics by Rachael Denhollander

My rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

You should read this if: You're looking to more deeply understand survivors, trauma, and how to best love and support those around you. #believewomen

You should not read this if: Your heart is made of stone. Or if you're looking for a bigger picture, quantitative analysis of sexual assault.

Favorite Quote: "As I lay in bed the night after Larry abused me, I remembered the time I’d found out why we’d lost our church and had begun to recognize how too many churches treat sexual abuse. The unwillingness to believe. The refusal to engage with experts. The denigration of those who do. Hushed secrecy to preserve the image of “the gospel,” when justice would demonstrate the love of Christ so much better."

Summary:
Heartbreaking, infuriating, but inspiring. The memoir is detailed, honest, vulnerable, humble, written with a fiery zeal and passion for justice. Rachael puts intimate, understandable words to communicate the feelings and experiences of survivors, making it a great companion read to a more academic book like "The Body Keeps the Score".

Reading this as a new dad, I was constantly moved to tears by the evil Rachael endured, even more saddened by the knowledge at the widespread abuse that happens. And I've learned a lot through her positive examples of friends and family on what appropriate responses to abuse and trauma are - things that may show up in more "theoretical" / parenting books, but are inspiring to witness lived out.

As a Christian, it was refreshing to hear Rachael share how her faith impacted her life and her desire to pursue justice. I recognize that some of the book may seem preachy to non-Christian readers, but I'm optimistic that people will understand the connectedness between her Christian worldview and her healing, courage, and desire for justice. The Church needs more people like Rachael and the supporters around her.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment