Saturday, January 2, 2021

Book Review - Axiom's End by Lindsay Ellis

Axiom's End (Noumena, #1)Axiom's End by Lindsay Ellis
My rating: ⭐⭐⭐ (3 of 5 stars)

You should read this if ... You want to see Lindsay Ellis's snark and sarcasm embodied in a character (not unlike Andy Weir's style in The Martian) and you want to follow her grow as a writer.

You should not read this if ...You don't like aliens. Or are looking for an exceptional read.

Summary:
I'm a big Lindsay Ellis fan on YouTube - I've watched most of her videos. Unfortunately, being a good YouTuber does not magically transform her into a great writer. This book has a lot of issues - from the writing to the concept to the story - if I had picked this up at a Barnes and Noble and read the first few chapters, I would have put it back on the shelf.

Names - I had a hard time following the names of the characters, especially in the first few chapters. In particular, the main character refers consistently to her mom and aunt by their first names makes it quite difficult to remember. The book is entirely written from Cora's point of view, but only refers to her mom as "Demi" - I simply could not connect with this.

Character Decisions - Despite aliens and other crazy things happening, the most unbelievable part of this book is the decisions of the main character, particularly her lack of inhibition with essentially a giant cockroach. Needless to say, the main character is fairly unlikeable.

All in all, it was an okay book, clearly an author's first without the polish and easy readability I've come to grown accustomed to.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment