Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I wouldn't mind the Heat winning the championship

I'm okay with Lebron getting a ring. There. I said it. Some of my fellow Lebron-haters may feel a little betrayed (sorry, Tim), but my heart just can't hate Lebron with the passion that I used to. I'm still pulling for the Thunder to win, but my disdain for the Heat has really faded these playoffs. Here's why.

Lebron has been doing everything his critics (like me) said he couldn't do. 
Lebron is driving hard to the hoop, drawing contact, and making free throws. He's playing well all game, every game.  He's showing up in the fourth quarter. He's closing games. He's kept his flopping to a minimum. He's playing with that look in his eye that we didn't think he had, with the will and desire to win we all thought he lacked. Even though he's teamed up with Wade and Bosh, with Bosh injured and Wade sucking, there's no question that Lebron carried this team to the Finals. Lebron has proven to me that he's grown a pair, and what I considered his biggest weakness - his mental strength - has improved drastically.

Shane Battier is a stud. 
I've always loved Battier because he reminds me so much of myself - tall, dark, and handsome. Well. He's the player I hope to be like. A great defender, with a decent offensive game. Actually, I've always wanted to be more like Jason Kidd. But whatever. I'll settle for Shane.

Chris Bosh is making a huge impact that's going largely unnoticed. 
In my opinion, Chris Bosh deserves a ton of credit for the Heat's last two wins. His offensive rebounding has absolutely killed the Thunder, giving the Heat all those second shot opportunities. He's playing his heart out, and for that, mad respect.

I really dislike the Thunder play style, and don't really think they deserve a ring. 
One of the biggest reasons I wouldn't really mind the Heat winning the championships, is that I kind of really don't want the Thunder to win it. I don't like their style of low-assist, high-turnover, iso-every-possession basketball. I don't like how much of a jumpshooting team they are. In my mind, I think the Thunder winning the championship would be too easy. It's not because they didn't play good teams (they probably had the most difficult road to the finals), but I guess just much more prefer seeing wily veterans win championships, not young athletes with questionable basketball IQ win. Also, I don't like how Westbrook plays. Or how he dresses.

So that's that. Ladies and gentlemen, I'm no longer a Lebron-hater. I am now merely a Lebron-disliker.

[As an aside, I'm now a Wade-hater. Flopping, crying for calls, not showing up in games, flagrants, and being an all-around douche. No thanks. Sources: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]

Best double flop ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment