Friday, April 27, 2012

NBA Playoff Predictions - 2012

First Round
I know I haven't chosen any upsets, and I wish I could have, but I really just don't like any of the lower-rated seeds. The Clippers are the team that, in my opinion, have the best possibility of pulling an upset, but I really dislike them and I'm going to root for them to lose, so I just can't advance them in my bracket.

Eastern Conference

(1) Chicago Bulls over (8) Philadelphia 76ers in 7 games

The 76ers didn't live up to the expectations they set in the beginning of the season, and they're an incredibly hot and cold team. If they're hot (which I hope they are...for basketball reasons...), I think they could put up a real fight against the Bulls, especially with Rose still getting back into the groove of things. They're coming off of a meaningless loss over the Pistons, which followed a 4-game road win streak. If the Sixers can convince themselves they can win, even after losing Game 1 (and maybe Game 2), I can see a really good series where the Bulls surprisingly struggle with the 8-seed. But if they lose the first two games, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Bulls sweep. It's funny how that works.

(2) Miami Heat over (7) New York Knicks in 6 games

Some "experts" like Stephen A. Smith say that it would be better for the Knicks to play the Heat in the playoffs as opposed to the Pacers, but I think they're dead wrong. They say that the teams like the Knicks match up better against the Heat than teams like the Bulls (whatever that means). But I remind you that the Knicks haven't won a game against the Heat all season long. They are 0-3 against the Heat, and while the playoffs may bring a little more intensity, I really can't see the Knicks taking this one. We know that the

(3) Indiana Pacers over (6) Orlando Magic in 5 games

I'm giving the Magic one win out of respect for Van Gandy, but no Dwight Howard? Forget it. Random aside: Now that I'm living in Indiana, I think I'm supposed to root for the Pacers. Go Pacers!

(4) Boston Celtics over  (5) Atlanta Hawks in 6 games

The Hawks ended the season pretty strong, but the Celtics were also straight up killin' people in late March and April. I think that the Celtics will be playing with extra motivation and push this playoffs, so I really can't see Atlanta winning more than 2 games against a super-experienced Celtics team.

Western Conference

(1) San Antonio Spurs over (8) Utah Jazz in 5 games

The Spurs really get no respect. They quietly nabbed the first seed from OKC on an active 10-game win streak, but still no one is talking about them. Many say that the Spurs are a good regular season team, but I don't think this stigma is necessarily true anymore because now instead of guys like Bruce Bowen and Michael Finley, they've got guys like DeJaun Blair and Daniel Green. But really, the Spurs post-season really depends on their big three - Manu, Duncan, and Tony Parker. Can they carry the team into the Finals? Can Manu stay healthy this post-season? We'll see.

(2) Oklahoma City Thunder over (7) Dallas Mavericks in 5 games

I haven't watched much Maverick basketball this year, but I have watched a good amount of OKC ball. The Thunder are freakishly explosive and have a lot of different ways to score, and I just don't see a team like the Dallas Mavericks being able to stop them. Dirk won't be able to bail his team out against a much superior team this year.

(3) Los Angeles Lakers over (6) Denver Nuggets in 6 games

The Lakers are nowhere near as dominant as they have been the last few years, but if Bynum can keep his cool, I don't see how the Lakers could lose this series to the Nuggets, who lack that go-to offensive player. The big question on everyone's mind - Can Kobe win his first ring without Luke Walton? Who knows. I hope so. Kobe also won't have Metta World Peace's hustle and defense this series, but I think the loss isn't that great. Who would you need him to shut down on the Nuggets anyways?

(4) Memphis Grizzlies over (5) Los Angeles Clippers in 7 games

This isn't so much a pick for the Griz as much as it is against the Clippers. Sorry guys, but I just really can't Blake Griffin. He's a flopper and a whiner, and he doesn't even jump over the top of Kias. I think this series is really up for grabs, so what the heck. Grizzlies in 7.

Conference Semi-Finals Prediction
I was going to do descriptions and reasons why I'm picking the way I am...but I got lazy. So here you go. Just the picks.

Eastern Conference
(4) Boston Celtics over (1) Chicago Bulls in 7 games
(2) Miami Heat over (3) Indiana Pacers in 6 games

Western Conference
(1) San Antonio Spurs over (4) Memphis Grizzlies in 6 games
(2) Oklahoma City Thunder over (3) Los Angeles Lakers in 6 games

Conference Finals Prediction
(2) Miami Heat over (4) Boston Celtics in 6 games
(2) Oklahoma City Thunder over (1) San Antonio Spurs in 5 games

NBA Finals Prediction
Oklahoma City Thunder over Miami Heat in 7 games


Closing Thoughts
I know what you're thinking. Caleb copped out. He chose what everyone thought would happen. OKC-Heat Finals. Just know that this is what I think will happen, not necessarily what I want or wish will happen. It was difficult for me not to pick the Lakers over the Thunder, and I'm kind of bummed that they're on the same side of the bracket, because I really don't think any of the teams on the other bracket can beat the Heat. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the Celtics somehow found a way to beat the Heat in the conference finals (though I can't see Chicago doing it, to be honest), and I wouldn't mind at all if the Heat got knocked out even earlier than that.

Yes, you've figured it out by now. My entire thought process is wrapped around my deep desire to see the Heat lose again this year. Let's go NBA! Beat the Heat!

Happy playoffs, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment