Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Church Hopping - Final Decision and Lessons Learned

The Final Decision - Northpark Community Church

I've made my decision. In this spring, this is very tough, in this spring I'm going to take my Bible to Flutter Road and join the Northpark Community Church. That was the conclusion I've come to after a few weeks of church-hopping. I feel like it's going to give me the best opportunity to grow and to grow for multiple years, and not only just to grow in life's easy seasons or just to grow five days in a row or three days in a row, I want to be able to grow every day, and I feel like I can learn and grow down there. [Here's what I'm referencing, for all of you who haven't caught it yet.]

So yeah. I've made the decision. I've laid out an overview of what the church was like in my review of it here, so if you want to know what it's like, read that post! The two main reasons that swayed me are below. Needless to say, I think the teaching is solid and the church seems relatively healthy, but the following two factors are what elevated it over the other church I was considering.

Northpark's newly built sanctuary!

Location 
It came down to St. Andrew EPC and Northpark, and St. Andrew is in another town twenty miles away, so it would be much more difficult to really get connected into the community there and serve in the church because of the distance. Northpark is only about ten minutes away, with most of its congregation living in Fort Wayne, making it much more possible for me to be a part of the community there.

Young Adults
Northpark already had a small group of young adults, and we just started a Thursday night Bible study in my apartment! We have dinner every week at 6:00PM in my apartment, then we play a game, do a Bible study, and then pray. We are going to start our study of Mark tomorrow night! It's super exciting being part of a new community of fun believers who are committed to meeting together. This small group is just starting, so pray that we can mesh together as a community and grow together in Christ!

Lessons Learned

- How to spell "Presbyterian" correctly on the first try.
- Multi-ethnicity and diversity don't seem important until it isn't there.
- There is no perfect church.
- Hymns can be pretty cool, especially when everyone sings it together.
- A small church with packed pews feels a lot "better" than a bigger church with more people but sparse pews.
- Church websites can tell you a lot about a church, but you have to know what to look for.
- Indiana is really conservative.
- Finding a church is difficult.


No comments:

Post a Comment