Sunday, June 2, 2013

My ACL Reconstruction

Twelve hours from now, I'll be having my ACL reconstruction surgery! This whole experience feels like an adventure to me, so I'm pretty excited for this surgery and the next couple weeks of rehab (see the "what I'm looking forward to section below). I also obviously can't wait until I'm fully recovered so I can get out on the field and play! Here's a rundown of some of the details of tomorrow.

Hospital - Indiana University Health Methodist Hospital

This hospital is located in downtown Indy. Too bad Game 7 of Pacers-Heat isn't in Indy, or we would be able to hear the awesome cheering and rioting after the Pacers beat the Heat.

Surgeon - Doctor Shelbourne

I found him on this US News page of top orthopedic surgeons in Indiana. According to the ranking, Dr. Shelbourne's deemed "among the top 1% in the nation in his specialty." He specializes in knee surgeries and have done tons of ACL reconstructions. He's the Purdue team surgeon and even knows Dr. James Andrews! Pretty cool.

Procedure - ACL Reconstruction with Opposite Knee Patellar Tendon Graft

Basically, they're going to take the Patellar tendon from my good right knee and put it into my left knee as an ACL. The patellar tendon graft is the what AP and RGIII and most professional athletes get. Because the graft is coming from my opposite leg, I will need to rehab both knees to fully recover, and the patellar tendon of the graft should heal completely.

Surgery Timeline

6:30 AM - Check in at hospital
9:30 AM - Surgery
11:30 AM - Wake up with a new ACL

I'll be in the hospital until around 6 AM the next morning, so sorry ahead of time if I don't respond to the various texts of support that I am expecting from you all.

What I'm looking forward to after the surgery

- Pacers/Heat Game 7
- Reading a Dance of Dragons
- Reading Metaxes' Bonhoeffer
- Not working for 2 weeks and spending time with family


Previous Posts

1 comment:

  1. praying it goes well!

    i'm cheering so hard for the pacers. would you give your bad ACL for their win? LOL jk jk :P

    ReplyDelete