Thursday, June 17, 2010

Why I Love the Lakers

I admit it. I'm somewhat of a bandwagon fan. I've never supported the Lakers in their down years (I wasn't alive back then). However, I consider myself a pretty educated sports fan, and I feel that my love of the Lakers is fairly legitimate.

5) The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I hate the Celtics. I can't stand Kevin Garnett. Sure, Garnett is only a recent Celtic, but I'm also a new NBA fan. Paul Pierce is too cocky. Rondo's arms are abnormally long, it's unfair. Kendrick Perkins is always angry. Baby Davis is a baby. I hate the Celtics.


This is what I call "Baby fat"

4) Likable Players

How can you dislike Lamar Odom and his obsession with candy? How can you root against Shannon Brown and his high-flying dunks? Sure, Derek Fisher can be a flopper at times, but don't you find it hilarious how much Luke Walton sucks or how Mbenga is made fun of by his entire team? No matter how much you disliked him as a Rocket, you have to admit that Ron Artest has cleaned up his game and isn't as crazy as he was before. But come on. LAMAR ODOM AND HIS CANDY! You can't hate the Lakers!



3) Fantasy Relations

As always, Fantasy sports always forms bonds between me and random players, and the Lakers have enough fantasy contributors that I've had at least one Laker on my fantasy basketball team every year. Lamar Odom, Trevor Ariza, and Ron Artest, thanks for contributing to my teams! I will continue to root for you no matter what team you're on!

2) Team Dynamics

The Lakers are very much like the Patriots of the NBA. Drama and selfishness aren't tolerated, and the team is always first. Of course this hasn't always been true, but the growth of Kobe Bryant as a leader has meshed the Lakers into a united steamroller in the Western Division. The Lakers have the perfect balance of experienced veterans and energetic youth, and everyone understands the role they have on the team. Like Belichick,  Phil Jackson is, as Skip Bayless calls him, a Zen Master that could care less about addressing the media and adhering to the league's rules about criticizing refs. The Lakers represent the perfect team.


(Also he kind of looks like KFC's own Colonel Sanders)

1) Kobe Bryant

The mental beast, the greatest player today. It's difficult to dislike Kobe Bryant. Sure a lot of people hate him, but it's really hard to hate the player he is. He shows up in big games and hits big shots. He's a cold-blooded killer and a fearless leader on the court and respectful and classy off of it. Kobe Bryant is a complete player. As Eric responded when asked if he was a Lakers fan, "I'm more of a Kobe fan."

Go Lakers!

No comments:

Post a Comment