Wednesday, June 23, 2010

1 Samuel 2: For those stumbling

1 Samuel 2:4
"The bows of the warrior are broken,
but those who stumbled are armed with strength."
This verse jumped out at me when I read Hannah's prayer. For all you out there who stumble, this is the verse for you. How strange the Scripture says that those who stumble are empowered, when in my experience stumbling in life causes shame, guilt, and an overall sense of powerlessness, not strength! When the devil succeeds in his temptations, get back up and continue to fight on. This verse has greatly encouraged me, reminding me that God is my strength, no matter how righteous I am.

When I read this verse, I immediately thought of Court McGee, who just won the Ultimate Fighter last Saturday. In his post-fight interview, he broke down while saying "I want to dedicate this fight to anybody who's struggling today. I love you all!" A little background on Court: a few years back, he was addicted to drugs and eventually overdosed, and he was clinically dead at one point. He fought through it, went to rehab, straightened his life, and has now just landed a UFC contract. You can watch the fight here. (The post-fight interview is at around 8:50).

Court's outburst of emotion reminded me of another man who was beaten, knocked down, taken down, and hit in the face in every literal and figurative way imaginable, but fought hard and he came out on top. He has dedicated his life for all those struggling, that when we fall, he lifts us up back on our feet with heads held high, knowing that it is because we are loved that Jesus died for us.

If you are struggling today, Jesus loves you. If you've been stumbling, know that however strange it may seem, God arms all who have stumbled with strength. Keep your head up, your arms high - God has already won the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment