Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My Summer

As most of you know, I'm currently working in Columbia, Maryland for a co-op with Harris Corporation. This is just a short little post about my summer so far.

My Job

I'm currently interning at Harris Corporation, which is communications company based in Florida. Even though the company itself is pretty big (16,000 employees), I work in a small satellite office which only has 40 people. I'm one of only two interns, but the people at Harris are extremely friendly and make for a pretty comfortable and homey work environment. Ever since I got real work to do (around two weeks into the internship), work has been pretty fun, and I've gotten a chance to learn a lot of new things and work with a lot of cool tools. I've learned C#, done a bunch of automated testing, used new hardware I've never seen before, and got a real taste of how agile development works in the real world. Work is actually pretty fun, and I don't dread going to work in the morning. Yay!

Random: I'm surprised at how prevalent cursing is in the office. Maybe it's just how young most of the people in this office are, but I expected all workplaces to be pretty clean when it comes to language.

My Apartment

Harris is paying for a fully furnished apartment for my enjoyment. Management sent me the lease by accident instead of the company, and I saw that the rent is $1653 per month! This doesn't even include all the furniture and awesomeness that was already provided for me! I recorded the video below for my mother, but I'm posting it anyways just to show off my living space and hopefully entice you to come visit me here in Maryland. [Sorry about the wobbliness. I was tired.]



Dining table! I only use it to eat breakfast. 

This is where I am most of the time I'm awake...

My enormous bed. I can sleep sideways on this thing. 

I also have a TV in my room, so I can fall asleep watching The Office, baseball, soccer, etc. 

My Free Time

I don't have much free time because my work hours are from 7:45 - 5:30, but I spend most of my time eating, watching TV, reading books , and playing a game called Mount & Blade. Then I go to sleep. Every Thursday night , I attend a Bible study, but that's about the only weeknight that I actually have something to do, as I've been coming home on Fridays. Last Thursday I got to play ultimate and then go play mini-golf and go to batting cages with the people from the Bible study. That was probably the most exciting day I've spent here in Maryland, not including the retreat last week.

All in all, I'm blessed to have an enjoyable internship, a flippin sweet apartment, and a little bit of community to keep my company.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Caleb! You have a blog? I'm reading your blog. Nice blog.

    Agile! How does a large corporation go about doing that? I've only ever seen 100% "eXtreme Programming" and TDD/BDD in startups.

    Apartment! Neat.

    C#...not excited. But appreciative nod, for what it is.

    Bible study! Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you find the Bible study?

    I found that cursing thing to be true here too. My supervisor curses in front of me quite often which is interesting because he's a father of two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sam I think our company is pretty new to it. My project has been doing it for a couple of years now, and it's basically just splitting everything up into tasks, assigning them to iterations/phases, and repeating. We use software called VersionOne, which is pretty handy.

    @James
    I had an old family friend that lives in the area, and he takes me around to places. Yeah basically everyone curses here...swearing like sailors. Very surprising to me.

    ReplyDelete