Saturday, May 28, 2011

Mothers - Ordinary But Dearly Loved

[Disclaimer: I've worked on this post for a while, but I can't seem to communicate my thoughts very clearly...so I give up. I also don't mean to offend anyone by insulting their mother. This is just my perspective. Also, there are obviously many exceptions to every rule. I just try to point out a general observation I made.]

The unconditional love of the mother for the child is well-known, but we don't always talk about the surprisingly unique love a child has for his mother. What makes a mother lovable?

Outside Perspective: Ordinary and Unspectacular

Ever meet a mother that you've heard a friend talk about a lot, who you've heard has a heart of gold and is very interesting, and all you see is a usual, ordinary Asian lady standing in front of you?

From an outside perspective, there's really nothing surprising or exceedingly special about most mothers. Most of the mothers of my friends I've met are wildly unspectacular. Few are memorably funny or witty. Few have cool jobs or awesome hobbies. Few have physical features or attire that stick out in your mind. Few are particularly attractive to me (which is probably a good sign). If someone asked me to describe someone else's mother, I would probably respond with something like, "She's a really nice lady. She's kind of short, has short hair, and talks with a funny accent. She's a good cook/singer/artist. She lets us come over to play every so often and is extremely hospitable." [*I don't think we think about fathers the same way.]

And then I think, "This is the woman that [my friend] loves with all of his heart. This is the woman that [my friend] would die for without hesitation. This is a pretty usual woman, and he loves her unconditionally? Crazy."

I'm not saying that all of your mothers are the same in my head or don't mean something to me, it's just that from an outside perspective, your mother doesn't really have any traits or qualities that deserve unconditional love. The mother that you've talked about so much, that you love with all of your heart, that you would die for - she just looks like a normal lady to me.

Inside Perspective: Dearly Loved

Now this is obviously only half the story. The amount of work and love our mothers put into our lives are pretty amazing, even though it isn't immediately apparent. However, we love our mothers not because of any of their personality traits, career accomplishments, or memorable characteristics. We don't even love our mothers for being good mothers (because this often isn't the case, anyways). The only reason we love our mothers is because they are our mothers.

I'm sometimes (strangely) surprised by how much you guys love your moms, especially for those of you whose mothers I haven't met yet. Hearing your words drip of compassion, love, and respect about someone I've never met before is interesting. It's even more interesting, as said before, meeting the subject of this love in person.

Though our mothers may seem ordinary and unspectacular on the outside, we love our mothers dearly. Even though I may not find your mother to be particularly interesting, I know that you love her with all of your heart. And that's enough. That's enough for me to hold your mother in the highest respect and to love her as an Ah-Yi (or as a Comrade/Party Member Auntie, for all of you Mainlanders).

Mandatory Gospel Plug
Similarly to how we love our mothers (and other mothers) without much of a worldly justification or objective analysis, Jesus loves us without looking at who we are on the outside. He loves us despite our sin and despite our lack of spectacular-ness. Usually the analogy is used in the reverse sense - that God loves us like a parent loves a child, but unconditional love is unconditional love, and we should stay amazed and grateful for the undeserving unconditional love that we receive.

*Aside: I don't think we think about fathers the same way.

When we think about fathers, we think about their job, their physical features, the car they drive, their expertise in hobbies and profession. We think about their personality traits, their humor, and their funny quirks and habits. As an example, when I think about Michael's dad I think about him playing tennis. Justin's dad = tall and used to be a sniper. Eric's dad = has a boat and goes fishing and smokes fish. Tom's dad = retired early and Thomas claims he has like 10 patents and invented the router (also, "hold on, please"). Sang's dad = hilarious and outgoing.  Nathan's dad = pastor at CBC.

[Sorry all you Michigan people for not knowing your dads to include in the above segment. But for fun, you should think about the parents that you know well, and think about what pops into your head when you think of them. Go through all of the mothers, then all of the fathers. My theory is that the mothers will be like what I described before, and the things that pop out about the fathers will be more "interesting"]

TL;DR - Yeah this post really isn't about much. It's just crazy how much we love our mothers without much of a "reason", I guess. Also, we think about mothers and fathers differently.

Iris (a potential mother, as John Heald would say), our mother, and our mother's mother!

4 comments:

  1. Just wondering, do you think if mothers were spectacular, that would warrant unconditional love from the children? Like if she had a super cool hobby and was really good looking? To me, traits and qualities don't warrant unconditional love (well...I guess nothing warrants unconditional love if it's unconditional...haha). But yeah, I really think it is cuz of all the love and care they pour out on us, and I guess there also is a natural mother/child bond.

    And also, are you just talking about Asian moms here? From the descriptions, it sure sounds like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "To me, traits and qualities don't warrant unconditional love."

    That's exactly right, and what I'm trying to point out, I guess. A mother's "worldly" worth is unrelated to how much her child loves her. This is what makes it amazing and unconditional.

    "But yeah, I really think it is cuz of all the love and care they pour out on us, and I guess there also is a natural mother/child bond."

    I think the natural mother/child bond is the reason. I would put it something like - God created us with an inherent love for our mothers, whether or not they are good people, or even good mothers. I haven't done much research on it or even really experienced it, but I think that the love of a child towards his parents is so unconditional that children love their parents even if they are bad parents. I know a lot of people that love their parents even though they are pretty crappy parents, objectively speaking. Affairs, divorce, abandonment, neglect. Heck, kids even love parents they've never known (orphans, for example).


    There's a desire that's hard-wired in us to love our parents, which is also why things get all screwy when people genuinely don't love their parents for whatever reason (sexual abuse, for example). But then, we know that they look for another "parent" to love them and to love.

    I also think the way we love our fathers is very different from how we love our mothers. Both can be unconditional, but feel totally different.

    And yeah, this is about Asian mothers lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like it also has to do with Asian families, where the mother and father play "traditional roles." That is, the mom usually is the one who cooks and cleans and takes care of the kids and the dad works and makes the money for the family. At the same time, there's no way our family would exist without my mom (and I'm sure this is the case with most Asian families) because she essentially raised both me and my brother on her own (my dad was around too but played a less significant role in raising us).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed, James. Something I would really work at to change in my family if I'm blessed to become a dad someday.

    ReplyDelete