Sunday, May 15, 2011

Eslite (and why I don't like dressing up)

Eslite: Shopping for the elite.

Eslite
We went to a "mall" called Eslite today. The moment we walked in, I knew it was stuffy. And by stuffy, I meant for extremely wealthy people who had nothing better to do. Everything in the entire mall was grossly overpriced. We saw a crappy, broken wooden chair for 22,000 NT ($800 USD), a set of chopsticks for 8,000 NT ($280 USD), and basically every male T-shirt being sold was about 3,000 NT ($105 USD). Pretty ridiculous. But of it all, this takes the cake:

Giant, expensive doll. 

The price tag on this giant plastic doll is…wait for it300,000 NT. That's $10,500 American dollars, ladies and gentlemen. For a big plastic doll.

Eslite was the first shopping mall I've visited where no one seemed to carry shopping bags, as it seemed like no one bought anything. [It was more like a museum, because you couldn't touch anything and you really couldn't buy anything either.] I just don't understand why anyone would 1) open stores like that or 2) visit a mall like that. For the vendors, how can you sell these unspectacular objects for such exorbitant prices with a clear conscience? For the shoppers, why would you shop at a place where you can't buy anything and subject yourselves to a shopping experience that will only leave you discontent?

The Ferrari Store.

Why I don't dress up.

The thoughts that ran through my head as I walked through Eslite revealed to my why I don't like dressing up, and hopefully I can do a good job of explaining a little bit of myself and a little bit of why I don't like dressing up when expected to.

I've always been bitter against the rich. I hate the snobby "I'm better than you because my parents make more money than your parents" attitudes. I detest the pretentiousness of flaunting wealth, especially when you did nothing to earn it. I can't stand wasting money on mere status symbols, and buying things just because you can.

My family wasn't always the most well off, and growing up in Marlboro meant that I was surrounded by a lot of very rich kids, kids that would tease me for not wearing the right clothes or not having the cool stuff. I remember in 6th grade a white kid named Mike (who was very nice to me) explaining what Abercrombie and Fitch was and why it was popular. He introduced me to the wonderful world of zip-off pants, which were hip at the time, I guess. I grew up with kids that looked down on you for not having certain things, so naturally I rejected the idea of needing to wear certain things or look a certain way just because other people want me to.

I don't dress up not only because it's annoying, but many times, dressing up is a submission to the desire of others forced upon me. Why should I look a certain way just for you? Why do I need to dress a the way you want me to for your acceptance? Do you feel better than me because you are dressed a certain way? Why do you think you're all that when you put on a tie or wear a dress, when it really doesn't change anything?

Bonus Pictures:

We went to the National Palace Museum today, and they were selling these nice little souvenirs in the gift shop. I bought 5 of each.

Item: Jade Bak Choy
Price: 1,080,000 NT = $37,713 USD
Item: Jade Necklace
Price: 760,000 NT = $26,539 USD

1 comment:

  1. I like the bookstore...but man, those prices ARE expensive.

    How big is that doll, anyways?

    ReplyDelete